Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Old Ladies and the Swastika Quilt



This weekend I was in the Eastern Townships, visiting some family and I stopped at the Lennoxville quilt show (don't ask)... A little church is filled with these little works of art that take hours and hours to make, especially when the makers are little old ladies with arthritic fingers.

I started taking pictures of the quilts as I always do, because my mother likes to see them when I return. Looking through my pictures I noticed the above quilt that looked strangely like a swastika.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but with the choice of colors for the quilt and the angle at which the pattern is tilted I had to pause for a second and wonder: did the old lady who made this actually figure out it looked like a swastika?

Either way, maybe I'm the only one who saw it, but it made me laugh and two days later I'm still laughing.

No comments: